Thursday, February 20, 2014

Holy Dog! Does Alligator ALWAYS smell like this?!!!!

So yesterday, I ran to Petco on my lunch hour to pick up a few bully sticks for my office stash, because 1) we were out and 2) The Paragon was having severe jealousy issues because my friend K's Yorkie/Maltese mix puppy, C, was enjoying the heck out of his bully stick and he had nary a one to enjoy his own self.   

I probably should mention ... I'm a bit of a dog food / cat food freak.  The 2007 recalls were a big eye-opener for me, and though I had fed raw before, I made a renewed commitment to it after that.  First I went to pre-made (commercially available) raw food, and then when even some of those brands started having recall issues, I decided to eliminate about 98.8% (ok, this is a made-up number, but it's pretty close to accurate) of commercially-made food and treats for my companion animals.  It's kind of a PITA, but I sleep a lot better at night, and I don't spend any more money than I ever did.  In fact, when it comes to the cats, I know I spend less (considering that a 5.5 ounce can of canned cat food averages about $1.50 or more in most pet stores). 


But I digress.  Back on track.  As I was saying, I was in Petco yesterday, on an emergency bully stick run on behalf of The Paragon.  The treat aisle is one aisle over from where the bully sticks live, and normally when I'm there I grab a bag or two of Zuke's treats to have on hand, but I recently found out that Zuke's was bought out by Purina, and that fact gives me serious pause to say the least (they say nothing will change, but I only have to remember how things did change, and quickly, when Proctor & Gamble bought out Natura, to have a hard time believing that).  So I was looking for something else that I felt ok about buying.  Since the recent and ongoing jerky debacle, one of my main criteria is that it has to be made in the US.  


After a few minutes, I found something I'd never seen before:  Louisiana Alligator Jerky by Think Dog.  These are the ingredients:  Alligator, Whole Ground Potatoes, Maple Syrup, Barley Flour, Vegetable Glycerin, Canola Oil, Salt, Natural Smoke Flavor, Garlic, Rosemary, Sorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols. A pretty short ingredient list, made in the USA, and it was alligator ... I was intrigued.  My dogs have never had alligator before.  Anyway, I bought 'em.  



The good news?  The dogs love them!  The bad news?  They stink like what I'd imagine the third circle of hell smells like on a good day.  I am not kidding - the stench is nauseating.  So I'm curious.  Is it something else in these treats (I can't think what?) or does alligator ALWAYS smell like this?  Because if it does, I can guarantee that after this bag is gone, The Paragon and The Flying Monkey will NOT be eating alligator again anytime soon.  Or ever.  

Do tell ... have you ever tried these treats for your dogs?  Or any other treats or food with alligator as an ingredient?  If so, how in the world do you stand the stench?

2 comments:

  1. I have seen these, but have yet to try them. I am interested as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah, put a clothespin on your nose! I'm telling you! :)

    ReplyDelete